SkinPen® Microneedling in Tampa and St. Petersburg, FL
There are a number of products to choose from that claim to reduce signs of aging, such as fine lines and wrinkles–but do they deliver actual results? If you’ve tried product after product without dramatic results, you may believe that firm, smooth, more youthful skin is beyond your reach. Enter the SkinPen®, a unique, medical grade microneedling device that can renew your skin and give you the flawless, radiance you enjoyed during your youth. Davis Facial Plastic Surgery is proud to offer this state-of-the-art and effective treatment to the residents of Tampa, St. Petersburg and the surrounding communities of Florida.
What is Microneedling?
Microneedling promotes the synthesis of new collagen and elastin, which results in fresh, more youthful skin. The vertical orientation of the SkinPen® needles enables the device to penetrate the skin with ease and precision and treat areas that other microneedling tools, such as dermal rollers, cannot reach. As a result, the SkinPen® can treat hard-to-reach areas such as those slightly, stubborn wrinkles around the eyes and mouth, with maximum results and minimal downtime.
SkinPen® not only provides a safe, effective way to fight signs of aging; the device can deliver dramatic results for a variety of unwanted skin imperfections, including:
- Sun damage
- Uneven skin tone
- Stretch marks
- Loose skin
- Enlarged pores
- Thin skin
SkinPen® triggers the skin’s self-healing process by creating temporary micro-channels or tiny indentations across the treatment area. In addition to promoting the production of new collagen and elastin, the micro-channels improve the efficacy of topical skincare products by allowing for deeper penetration into the skin. By igniting the production of new collagen and elastin, the SkinPen® can undo years of sun damage, soften acne or trauma scars, and improve the overall appearance of skin.
Who is a candidate for SkinPen®?
Everyone! Nearly all skin types, including darker skin, which can be limited when it comes to laser and thermal skincare treatments, are ideal candidates for SkinPen®. There are few contraindicators to Microneedling. Questions? Call our office for more information. If you are interested, please find our Microneedling Consent Form here.
What areas of the body can be treated by SkinPen®?
The vertical delivery of the SkinPen® needles makes the device extremely versatile and able to easily penetrate various areas of the body, including the face, neck, décolleté, arms, hands, legs, abdomen, and back. The versatile, precision design of the SkinPen® makes the device especially effective for skin imperfections that require intense collagen remodeling, such as acne scars or stretch marks.
How is the SkinPen® procedure done?
After the skin is thoroughly cleansed and prepped, a topical numbing cream or anesthetic is applied to the skin’s surface to limit nearly all discomfort throughout the procedure. Our licensed and certified esthetician then sets the depth and speed of the pen according to your skin type and the severity of the condition you’d like to treat. She will guide the pen across the treatment area using gentle, precise motions to create micro-“injuries” in the skin by a sterile needle head causing thousands of these controlled micro-“injuries” per second. The result is smoother, plumper, more youthful-looking skin.
What does the SkinPen® feel like?
The ergonomic design of the SkinPen®, its adjustable settings, and the topical anesthetic makes the procedure virtually pain-free for most patients.
How long does the SkinPen® procedure take?
Patients are typically in and out of the office within 30 to 60 minutes, but the entire length of the procedure depends on the size and number of areas treated and the severity of the patient’s condition.
What can you expect from a SkinPen® procedure?
Beautiful, lasting results! Your skin and desired results deserve the quality and safety of SkinPen®. The versatility of SkinPen® makes it ideal for nearly all skin types.
- A comfortable procedure. Based on your specific needs, our esthetician may apply a topical numbing agent to ensure your comfort during the procedure. After the procedure, it is normal for your skin to appear red and flushed, similar to a sunburn, and have some swelling, bruising or peeling, and to feel itchiness, tightness and sensitivity. Although these symptoms may take 2-3 days to resolve, they will improve significantly within a few hours of treatment and the redness will fade and skin tone will return to normal.
- A short procedure time. Procedure time may range from 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- A mild sensation. Most patients report feeling just the sight vibration of SkinPen® during the procedure.
- Mild post-procedure effects. The skin will appear slightly pink to red immediately post-procedure, similar to a mild to moderate sunburn.
- Soothing aftercare. Our esthetician will apply Skinfuse® RESCUE Calming Complex and Lift HG immediately post-procedure. These soothe, heal and protect. Most patients are OK to resume normal activities such as returning to the gym within 24-hours of treatment. Normal makeup or concealer can conceal any temporary skin irritation from the procedure, and may be applied after 24 hours.
- Our esthetician will recommend a course of procedures (typically 3 to 6) appropriate for your skin’s needs and request you return within four to six weeks for your next procedure to ensure optimal results. The results can then be maintained with quarterly or treatments every 6 months to maintain fresh, health, vibrant skin.
- A post-procedure skin care regimen to optimize your results. Our esthetician will provide you with a concise, easy-to-use skincare regimen formulated specifically for your needs.
- Beautiful, lasting results.
What is the downtime after SkinPen®?
The SkinPen® procedure is non-invasive and involves little to no downtime. It’s normal for your skin to appear red and flushed, similar to a sunburn, following treatment and products will be given to advance the healing process. Most patients experience skin redness for 12 to 24 hours while mild swelling and other symptoms such as a residual pinkness to the skin resolve in two to three days. The total healing time varies from patient to patient and ultimately depends on the extent of skin damage and the aggressiveness of the approach.
For the first three days, cleanse the skin with a gentle cleanser such as Obagi® Foaming Gel or Gentle Cleanser follow with a pea-size mixture of Skinfuse® LIFT HA Serum and RESCUE Calming Complex and a physical sunscreen recommended by your treating esthetician. Reapply the mixture of the two serums three to four times a day or as skin feels tight, dry or irritated. By day four, start to reintroduce your current skin care regimen. Begin to add your toner serums and moisturizer in the AM and PM. At day seven – you can add back dry exfoliants or masks you use, like Tretinoin.
When will I see the results from SkinPen® Microneedling?
Patients will experience a noticeable radiant difference in their skin immediately after treatment, but your skin will gradually improve as the natural healing process continues for several weeks. Continuous results will become apparent after three to six months as collagen in the dermal tissues continues to rebuild over time. Final results or improvement in scarring or wrinkles, can be seen 9 months after treatment. To view our Microneedling Before & After photos, click here.
Although it is not possible to predict every potential risk and complication, the following are recognized as known contraindications or conditions to microneedling. If you have any of the below conditions, please inform the treating esthetician PRIOR to signing the consent form and having the procedure, and also before any future treatments.
- Un-managed diabetes or wound-healing deficiencies
- Chemotherapy or radiation treatment
- Immunosuppressive drugs or therapy
- Active or history of eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis, rosacea
- Cold sores or history of herpes simplex infections
- Cystic acne
- Accutane therapy within past year
- Facial warts
- Collagen vascular lesions or diseases
- Keloid scars or tendency to keloid
- Active infection of any type (bacterial, viral or fungal)
- Hemophilia or bleeding disorders
- Pregnancy or breastfeeding
How Much Does SkinPen® Cost?
Davis Facial Plastic Surgery regularly offers promotions on SkinPen® Microneedling. See our Specials Page for our current promotion. Any other questions about pricing or the right treatment for your skin – call today for your FREE consultation with our licensed medical esthetician.
If you live in Tampa, St. Petersburg or the surrounding communities of Florida and want to learn more about SkinPen® microneedling, please contact Davis Facial Plastic Surgery today.