Facelift in Tampa and St. Petersburg, FL
At Davis Facial Plastic Surgery, our team practices exclusively in the fields of plastic and reconstructive surgery on the face and neck. If you would like to refine your appearance or alleviate the signs of aging, a facelift may be for you. At our Tampa location, we offer an extensive range of facial surgery procedures to meet our patients’ diverse needs in St. Petersburg and the surrounding areas of Florida. If you want to make a positive change in your life, we encourage you to explore all of the options available to you, including surgery.
Facelift surgery used to be a forbidden topic, a procedure that was done secretly and never discussed openly, but things have changed dramatically over the last 10 years. Young women and men now routinely undergo facelifts, and the procedure has become commonplace and culturally accepted in part due to this influx of new patients.
To learn whether a facelift or neck lift might be right for you, contact our plastic surgery practice today. Our Tampa location is convenient to patients throughout the area.
Facelift Surgery – An Overview
Facelift surgery is intended to eliminate excess skin and fat, tighten underlying muscle tissue, and reposition the remaining tissue for a firmer, more youthful appearance. There is a wide range of facelift procedures that can be employed to improve a patient’s appearance, reduce signs of aging, and eliminate unwanted sagging jowls, folds, and age lines. The type of procedure that is right for you will depend on a multitude of factors, including your age, post-surgery recovery goals, and desired results.
Benefits of a Facelift
Undergoing a facelift has a real and lasting impact on your appearance. The procedure greatly refines the skin and reduce the signs of aging, eliminate jowling or “turkey waddles,” and smooth, heavy nasolabial folds and age lines. If injectables are unable to produce results that meet your aesthetic goals, facelift surgery is the next step in a natural progression toward achieving the appearance you desire.
Facelift Surgery – Available Techniques
- Mini facelift or partial facelift– A mini facelift (also known as a short-scar facelift) is similar in principal to a traditional facelift but is focused to limit potential scarring. To perform a mini facelift, an S-shaped incision will be made in front of and around the ear. This incision is about a 1/3 the length of a traditional facelift incision, which helps minimize resulting scarring. Once this incision has been made, skin and fat tissue can be repositioned and pulled taut. The advantages of this procedure include reduced swelling, quicker recovery, and less visible scarring; however, the procedure is not appropriate for patients who require significant tissue lifting.
- Mid facelift– This procedure is intended to address the middle portion of the face, namely the cheeks, nose, and lower eyes. Over time, the cheek pads start to descend to the lower portion of the face due to gravity and the natural effects of aging. With a mid-facelift, these cosmetic flaws can be corrected. Once incisions have been made, the cheek pads can be elevated back into position, which can help alleviate nasolabial folds and age lines, restore the youthful appearance of the cheeks, and reduce or eliminate tension on the lower eyelids.
- Full facelift or deep plane facelift– Full facelifts and deep plane facelifts are comprehensive treatments that can produce dramatic results. A deep plane facelift involves mobilizing, elevating, and suspending connective tissue (superficial muscular aponeurotic system or SMAS) and re-draping it in a more desirable position. This technique allows the connective tissue to remain connected and preserves the natural incision placement, which can be hidden around or behind the ear, or beneath the hairline. To successfully perform a deep plane facelift, the surgeon must have expert knowledge of plastic surgery, microsurgery, and the nervous system. A full facelift is very similar to a deep plane facelift but does not involve the complete elevation of the fat pads and surrounding connective tissue; rather, the skin is raised outwards and the skin, muscle, and fat tissue are repositioned.
- Neck lift – Similar to a facelift, a neck lift is a surgical procedure that allows excess skin and muscle tissue to be removed and re-draped for a more youthful, attractive appearance. The incisions for a neck lift are typically hidden underneath the chin or behind the ears. Through these incisions, the skin, fat, and muscle tissue can be molded, and excess skin can be eliminated. Once the tissue has been repositioned, the incisions are closed. The recovery time necessary for a neck lift is similar to that of facelift recovery.
- Facelifts and neck lifts for men– Performing facial surgery on a man can be tougher than that on a woman because of the tougher bearded skin. It can also be more difficult to hide incisions due to this. For this reason, it is very important that men considering facial plastic surgery work with experts with years of experience in facial cosmetic surgery, like Dr. Davis. At our Tampa practice, Dr. Davis customizes facelift surgery around each man’s needs. The incisions can be placed around hair tufts or sideburns so that any resulting scars will be hidden. We can then eliminate “turkey waddles” or heavy jowls with minimal to no downtime.
It is important to note that facelifts are not “one size fits all” solutions. Each facelift procedure that we perform is customized to the individual patient’s specific needs and goals. We determine the most suitable procedure based on a range of criteria, such as the patient’s physical makeup, his or her cost requirements, and the time that he or she can allow for recovery. For example, not everyone can dedicate the time necessary for a deep-plane facelift recovery; in such cases, a less invasive partial lift may prove a more attractive alternative. If you have time or budgetary restraints, rest assured – we offer a full range of options and will find one that is right for you.
Recovery and Aftercare – Post-surgery Process
Once facelift surgery is complete, we wrap the treatment area in supportive dressings; these dressings typically stay in place for 48 to 72 hours. At Davis Facial Plastic Surgery, we do not use drains; if any drains are used, it is only temporarily, and the drains are removed prior to the patient leaving the recovery room. In the immediate 24 hours after surgery, we keep in close contact, calling the patient the night of the surgery as well as the next morning. We maintain this communication because 90% of post-surgical hematomas (a localized collection or pooling of blood beneath the skin) occur within 24 hours of surgery, and 90% of those incidents occur within the first hour after surgery. By maintaining regular contact with our patients after surgery, we can help ensure an extremely low complication rate.
Approximately two to three days after surgery, the patient returns to our office to have the dressings removed. At this time, we also address the incisions and check that they are healing properly. Once the dressings have been removed, we provide the patient with supportive dressings (or girdles) which are to be worn at night for a period of four to six weeks. These supportive dressings help promote healing and contour the skin. Over the next six weeks, we see the patient weekly or bi-weekly to check on his or her progress. To help ensure best results and minimize the risk of complication, we are very controlling in our post-operative care. We ask that our patients abstain from strenuous activity for up to six weeks, as well as head and neck activity, so that the tissue can properly heal. If the patient follows these instructions, he or she can expect superb results. However, if complications do arise, Dr. Davis can be reached at any time.
Revisions and Potential Complications
Approximately six months after surgery is complete, we can determine whether any revisions will be necessary. Thanks to Dr. Davis’ expertise in the field of facial plastic surgery, and his artistry in facelift surgery, the revision rate is extremely low. That being said, if Mr. Davis does see something that could be improved upon, he will make minor touch-ups at no additional cost. Though a facelift may not be routine for you, it is for Dr. Davis — take advantage of his expertise and that of his staff! We employ the latest techniques, take control of facelift surgery aftercare and recovery, and monitor patients at our Tampa clinic to ensure healing and recovery are going as planned.
Though rare, complications can occur. Potential complications include visible scarring, hematomas, blood fluid collection, abnormal bruising, and facial nerve injury. Having an understanding of potential complications can help you make an informed decision regarding treatment. That being said, we can greatly mitigate the risk of complications occurring through quality care, experience, and the employment of modern, safe approaches.
How Much Does a Facelift Cost?
Facelift surgery is considered cosmetic and is not covered by insurance. Patients are responsible for covering the full cost of the procedure. Dr. Davis accepts payment via cash, check, or credit card, as well as CareCredit® as a financing option.
Why Choose Davis Facial Plastic Surgery?
You can rest easy knowing that, at Davis Facial Plastic Surgery, you will be in the care of a talented team of professionals who will always have your best interests at heart. We employ sound techniques, assume full responsibility for your recovery process, are available for questions at any time, maintain frequent monitoring of your post-surgical recovery and healing, and take every step to minimize risk of complications and ensure superior results. A facelift can have a tangible impact on your life; your new natural-looking appearance can boost your self-esteem and self-confidence, have an impact on the people around you, and pay dividends in your social, professional, and romantic life. Why choose anyone else to perform your surgery but Dr. Davis? With a background exclusively in head, face, and neck reconstruction, Dr. Davis is a master of facial plastic surgery.
If you live in Tampa, St. Petersburg and the surrounding areas of Florida and have considered a facelift, contact our plastic surgery practice today. Our Tampa location is open Monday through Friday.